Let’s face it – working offshore or even onshore in port under maritime laws can be rough. Long hours, hard work, difficult conditions: all these situations can lead to terrible accidents that can cause you to lose your income, mobility or life. If you’ve had a workplace accident onshore or offshore, you need a Houston maritime lawyer who knows what they’re doing and how to successfully represent you in and out of the courtroom. Here’s a look at what you need to know to find the right lawyer for the job.
How to find the right Houston maritime lawyer for your accident
- Are they willing to take on the big guns? Whether you work with a large company or not, you don’t want an attorney who will settle for less than what you deserve or will fold when you need them most.
- What’s their success rate? This is vital because it helps you determine whether they can get you a settlement or judgment. If they’re not winning a lot of cases, they’re probably not going to be able to help you.
- What kind of experience do they have? Many law firms advertise like maritime law is all they deal with, but they actually handle everything that comes in. Make sure your law firm has solid combined experience.
- How much are their settlements? If the law firm you’re considering working with has a lot of little settlements but not a lot of big ones, this tells you that they settle out of court a lot for the first amount offered.
- Do they have solid referrals? Attorneys with experience in maritime law for a while can provide you with testimonials from prior clients that reflect their level of expertise. If they can’t, don’t hire them.
- Are the attorneys known for their performance? If you can work with a law firm that has a reputation for excellence, there’s a much better chance that they’ll be able to get a good settlement before a long, drawn-out lawsuit.
Whether it’s your livelihood, health or life at stake or that of a loved one, finding the right law firm to represent you can make all the difference between a successful case or settlement or leaving your family in need. At SMSH, we have the right Houston maritime lawyerfor your needs, with over 100 years of combined maritime law experience and over $720 million for injury victims. We believe in your case so much, we offer our clients 0% interest loans to help with daily expenses while you wait on your case to be settled. Please feel free to contact us today to get started.